Ever since it’s debut in the early 2000s the BOSU has been a staple of exercise facilities around the world. I’m a big fan of the BOSU and it’s versatility which is why I was excited to get my hands on the new Vicore Terra Core. ViCore in the business of selling benches with integrated air bladders which is a really cool design that provides a number of benefits. The Terra Core is a new platform-based fitness product that should be eagerly awaited by group fitness managers around the country who struggle with how to store steps, stability balls and BOSU balance trainers in the same studio. The Terra Core is approximately a meter long with an air bladder on top that is flat which allows you to stand on it while keeping your feet in a relatively neutral position. It includes handles to use it as a weight and attachment points for resistance bands. Whether in a group or one-on-one the Terra Core can be an effective way to add much-needed variability of movement into exercise programs.
One drawback of traditional strength training benches is that the hard pad of the bench limit mobility and range-of-motion of the shoulder joints, ViCore’s unique design creates a bench that is much easier on the shoulders and back when holding large weights. The Terra Core is basically a top of a bench that has been tweaked with handles and some additional weight. The Terra Core can be used on the ground with either the air bladder or flat side facing up, there are also attachment points for resistance bands and handles to allow the unit to be lifted like a traditional weight.
The Terra Core is an excellent option if you own a studio or run a group fitness program and are looking for new a versatile new product or if you notice your old steps have been run into the ground. Because the Terra Core can be used a bench, step or weight it is also an excellent option for those of you who choose to workout at home and want one piece of equipment that offers a wide variety of options.
I’ve added the Terra Core to my workouts for footwork drills, push-ups (placing your hands on the air bladder creates some cool movement variability to enhance shoulder strength) and even use it with the handles for some fun squat to overhead press options. If you know a little about exercise, have a great imagination for creating new exercises and want results from your workouts then the Terra Core is the right product for you
What I liked:
- Versatility, it’s great to see one product provide so many different options for how to use it.
- The air bladder has a relatively flat top so you can stand on it without creating too much motion/movement in the ankles.
- The attachment points for using resistance tubing are awesome, easy to use and very functional.
What could be improved:
- The only challenge I’ve had with the Terra Core is where to store it, because it can take up a lot of space and the curved ends do not allow it to be stacked vertically and leaned against the wall (which is important for home-based gym and smaller studios).
- The top of the air bladder can become a little slick from sweat so it is important to have a towel specifically to wipe it off. This has nothing to do with the design of the product but the reality of a piece of equipment that makes you sweat buckets, it’s a good problems to have.